This week I focused on doing more research on what the magazine is about, what problems it will address, to what market segment and how it would provide solution and be a magazine that can provide self-help to people that needs it.
“Pschone” (from ‘psych’ & ‘schoen’) is a human relation/wellness magazine, which goal is to aid adults in coping with their hardships through life, providing reading materials that’d help balance the 4 important pillars in human’s life.
What is a magazine? Magazine is “a periodical publication containing articles and illustrations, typically covering a subject or area of interest”.
Genres of magazines:
- Health & Fitness
Why & where do people read magazine? People read magazine because it contains enlightening and insightful news and stories especially targeted for a specific market, unlike newspaper which is straightforward and targets general audience.
When do people read magazine?
What are the 4 aspects?
What kind of problems/hardships are addressed (through the reading materials)?
- Stress caused by work, peer pressure, poor working environment / social circle
- Low confidence and self esteem
- Reluctance of communicating problems and worries with others
- Unsettled mind with constant worrying and doubts
- In denial of current situation, unable to accept their shortcomings and improve from that point
- Health problems caused by stress
- Destructive lifestyle; drinking, smoking, sexually promiscuous
- Unhealthy diet pattern in favor of convenience
- Dependence on medication (anti-depressants, painkillers)
- Lack of physical activity
- Recurring relationship problems (familial and amorous)
- Unable to move on from a hurtful and traumatic experience
- Low emotional intelligence; unable to balance between using feeling and logic as the base of judgment (relies heavily on only either side)
- Covering up emotional wounds by being defensive, unwilling to open to others and accept their help
- No spiritual guidance in life
- Relies on solely intelligence and emotional capability to solve problems in life
- Feel a significant gap in their life and fill it with humanly desires
Which/What kind of adults are the magazine targeting?
- Mainly female audiences, mature readers of age 18 to 35 (primary audience).
- Economically active population
- Middle-high economy class
- Adults who struggle coping with problems and challenges that arise in their work, relationship and daily life
- Adults who enjoy reading to pass the time
- Single household / Married
What are the psychographic characteristics of these adults?
- High stress level
- Low self esteem / unconfident
- (Possible) Identity crisis
- Prone to breakdowns
- Reserved, only open to close friends
What are the behaviors of these adults?
- Work-a-holic, using work to distract them from problems outside of job
- Café-hopping (getting coffee, doing work, reading books)
- Seek to find help to their problems (counseling group, online forum, group of friend)
- On their gadget (phone, laptop, iPad)
- Reading books, novels
- Brash, act upon poor decision
- Casual relationship / actively dating (single household)
- Caffeine dependence
Product Related Problems
- The working population is too busy and stressed to spend time to read
- Some people won’t afford the price of magazine
- Technology advancement drive people to consume more digital than printed media
- Market “pschone” not just as a normal magazine, but a support system and a self-help reading, which can help people cope with stress and hardships
- Make the magazine interactive to the readers – have pop-up boxes every several pages to encourage readers to have a better day.
Moodboards for target market based on age segment, lifestyle
I will work on the moodboard for the magazine visuals, the keywords and start with some layout sketches.